Friday, July 25, 2008

Flower Drum

A restaurant with a great reputation and history to it. Whilst earning the reputation of one of the great restaurants in Australia, it has become a target of "foodies" and some bloggers to slag it off, especially using the excuse of Gilbert Lau not being there anymore. It has become almost trendy among the "foodie" set to talk it down. A lot centres around ordering on or off menu.
Well, for my money, I think it is one of the greatest food experiences I've had. I'd only been once before and it was memorable, so I was a little apprehensive if it would live up to the memory. It did.
We'll start with the service. While, some will complain of over servicing I think the service is spot on. There is always someone around but not in an overbearing way. They are polite and skillful and it is all about making the dinner great for you. The best.
Food; it's such a subjective thing, but the food is simply sublime and perfect. Anything seafood is the best I've had. The mixed dumplings all smell magnificent when they arrive, all different textures and seasoning perfect. It's hard to imagine it any fressher. But it is.... deep fried prawns, again smelling so pure and unbelievable when they arrive. Flavour and texture again is perfect.
A whole steamed Coral Trout, cooked to perfection, a little under on the bone, snow white flesh so delicate, with a soy based sauce that did nothing but help season the fish. I've had freshly caught fish before, but nothing as good as this. I almost shed tears I was so moved by it. I think the Chineses understand so well the idea of steaming fish as the best way of eating it whole when the quality is as good as this.
Other things, such as bbq'd squab and a tofu soup were also great. I really think a lot of foodies just don't get it. It is great produce, cooked skillfully in an environment that is professional and caring. It is not cutting edge or new, it does not pander to jaded palettes or those who need to be surprised or to feel that they are in the know. It does what it does to the top level and is confident in it. It doesn't need to impress with anything other than serving food that is perfect.
I can think of no other place that I would rather eat in just for the joy of the food.
Truly one of the great chefs in Australia and long may the Flower Drum riegn.

No comments: